Legal Aid Justice Center
1000 Preston Ave.
The Legal Aid Justice Center offers free civil legal services to low-income families throughout Central Virginiaand to farm workers and other low-wage immigrant workers statewide. Legal Aid currently sponsors three principal programs: the Civil Advocacy Program, which assists area clients who face legal issues in housing, public benefits, employment, consumer protection and the rights of the elderly and individuals with disabilities; the Virginia Justice Center for Farm and Immigrant Workers, which addresses the legal issues of the estimated 50,000 farm workers, thousands of day laborers and many other low-wage immigrants who live or work in Virginia; and the JustChildren program, which employs a variety of strategies to ensure that young people in Virginia have access to the services and support necessary to live successful lives in their communities.
Other Law-Related Public Service Opportunities
Through its Mortimer Caplin Public Service Center, its clinical programs and its Pro Bono Project, the Law School provides students with the opportunity to work with attorneys from non-profit organizations such as:
- Albemarle County Attorney's Office
- Albemarle County Commonwealth Attorney's Office
- Charlottesville Public Defender's Office
- International Rescue Committee
- Jefferson Area Board for Aging
- Nature Conservancy
- Rutherford Institute
- Southern Environmental Law Center
- Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression
- U.S. Attorney's Office-Western District of Virginia
- UVA Children's Hospital
- Virginia Department of Social Services Child Support Enforcement
- Virginia School Boards Association
- Virginia Capital Representation Resource Center
- Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
In addition, lawyers from several Charlottesville firms supervise law students participating in clinics or pro bono projects. Many student groups have public service projects as well; see Student Service Organizations.
The Public Service Center frequently notifies students through emails and announcements about available public service opportunities, and keeps a database of such opportunities that is accessible only to enrolled students.