Getting Settled: Utilities
Clay Hall
Charlottesville Home
Getting Settled


So you've finally found a place to live. Congratulations! Take a deep breath and go out to celebrate. When you're finished celebrating, you can start attending to details such as utilities, driver's licenses, and a whole range of other items that need to be taken care of, especially if you are moving from outside Virginia.


Dominion Power
1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357)
Phone Center Hours: Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-5 p.m

Once you have your new address and know when you are moving in, call Virginia Power to apply for service. They generally request at least a 24-hour notice, and the connection date must be Monday through Friday. Keep in mind that they may run a little behind schedule when students start to arrive in town. Utility accounts may also be set up online.

Deposit: You may be requested to pay a $90 or $180 deposit, depending on the type of heating and/or air conditioning at your address. Customers who have had previous good credit with Dominion Power or another electric company may not need to pay the deposit. When calling to set up an account, Dominion Power will run a credit check to determine if a deposit is needed. Deposits earn simple interest and are refundable after 12 months of good credit. A $15 nonrefundable connection fee is also charged to all customers. If you move before 12 months are up, your deposit is applied to your final bill and any remainder is refunded.

Gas and Water

City of Charlottesville
City Hall, Utility Billing, Corner of 7th and E. Main St.
Gas and water service: 434-970-3211

A municipal gas and water system services most of Charlottesville and the surrounding area. Requests for service can be made over the phone or through the Internet. Accounts can also be set up online.

Gas Service: The city usually provides next-day gas service, if the request is made before noon. Deposit: The refundable deposits can be waived with a letter of credit. The deposit required for first-time customers using gas to heat their homes is normally $250. If gas is used only for cooking or for hot water heaters, the deposit is normally $75. All customers must pay a $30 connection fee.
Water Service: Even if the normal $75 deposit is waived with your letter of credit, all customers must pay a $30 connection charge.

Albemarle County Service Authority
168 Spotnap Rd. (off South Pantops Dr.)
Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

An $8 fee applies to each new account. Accounts can be set up by e-mail at (Provide name, address, and date to be connected/disconnected). Be sure to coordinate your billing changeover date with the previous owner or your landlord; it is usually not possible to resume service on the same day once it has been cut off.

Utility Rate Schedule pdf

Local Telephone Service


CenturyLink provides local telephone service, high-speed DSL and digital TV service via fiber optics for Charlottesville and most surrounding counties. Allow one or two days for a new connection. A deposit is usually not necessary.

Local Cell Phone Service

Trash and Recycling

City of Charlottesville

City residents must pay for city trash pick-up, which includes curbside recycling pick-up, by affixing stickers (like using a stamp) on trash bags. You may purchase individual trash stickers (13-gallon bag that contains no more than 25 pounds of trash or a 32-gallon bag that contains no more than 50 pounds) or annual decals at local grocery stores. For prices and purchase sites, see (link to Trash). Your trash collection may be included in your rent; ask your landlord.

Albemarle County

Albemarle County does not provide trash collection. Each county resident must dispose of their waste themselves, or contract with a private disposal hauler of their choice. Haulers serving Albemarle County are required to offer curbside pick-up of recyclables. If you rent, trash service is normally included in your rent, but ask your landlord before you sign your lease.

McIntire Road Recycling Center
McIntire Road (by baseball diamond next to County Office Building)

Recycles newspaper, paper products, corrugated cardboard, milk jugs, glass, aluminum and steel cans, plastic containers marked No. 1-2 (but with numerous exceptions), plastics No. 3-7, and clothes. There is a also a little shed where you can put books you no longer want, and look around for any of your neighbors' old books or magazines to take home. You are asked to take no more than 10 books. Used books can also be donated to the Jefferson Madison Regional Library's annual sale by dropping them off at the JMLR's Gordon Avenue branch.

Rivanna Solid Waste Authority

Check this website for more information about recycling in the area and how to dispose of household hazardous wastes.

UVA Recycling

UVA's recycling center is handy for items the city won't take, such as cardboard. It's off Alderman Road across from Slaughter Gym. Check out what you can recycle here.


Comcast Xfinity
1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

Comcast provides service from basic analog cable (about 10 channels for about $15) up to digital and high-definition premium packages (digital starter at about $50 a month for 12 months). Call or check online for current promotions.

Internet Service

On-Grounds housing already includes high-speed Internet connections, and many of the apartments close to the Law School offer high-speed connections also (check with the landlord).

If you do need Internet connections at home, there are several options to choose from, so be sure to shop around. Comcast Xfinity (cable) and CenturyLink (DSL) are popular choices for high-speed connections in Charlottesville. Certain services, such as Verizon FiOS, may not be accessible in the area.


If your landlord supplies all or part of your utilities, you may not need to take any action in some of these areas. Be sure to read your lease because you may be responsible for having utilities connected, even if you do not have to pay for their cost. A note of caution: if you find your utilities connected and your landlord is not paying for their cost, the connection may be cut off when the former tenant informs the utility company that he/she has moved out. In this case, contact the utility company immediately. Remember August and September are very busy months for utility companies. Be sure to make arrangements as early as possible.


Virginia residents must pay both federal and state income taxes if they make above a certain income level. Persons moving into Virginia pay state tax only on income earned or received while residing in Virginia. State tax returns are due May 1 along with any tax due. Call 970-3160 (City of Charlottesville) or 296-5851 (Albemarle County) for information about individual state income taxes.


Handy Websites:

City of Charlottesville
Utilities, services and much more:

Albemarle County:


What's your opinion? Add to the C'ville guide, report new information and let us know what you think. We reserve the right to edit or reject submissions.