VJOLT Symposium to Examine the Future of Fashion Law
The Virginia Journal of Law and Technology's symposium will be held Friday, Feb. 7, and bring together some of the country's leading experts on fashion law.
Leading practitioners and academics in the field of fashion law will gather Feb. 7 at the University of Virginia School of Law’s Caplin Pavilion to discuss current issues and anticipated developments in the industry during the annual Virginia Journal of Law & Technology symposium.
“The Future of Fashion Law: Blurring the Seams between the Academy and the Runway” will begin at 9 a.m. with a keynote address from Staci Riordan, partner and chair of the Fashion Law Practice Group at Fox Rothschild. Riordan, whose practice focuses on both transactional and litigation issues faced by the fashion community, works with industry clients on issues including licensing, trademark and business litigation, digital media, and social commerce.
The symposium will also include two panels—one on the future of fashion law in academia and the other on emerging legal issues for fashion clients. UVA law professor Dotan Oliar, an expert in intellectual property law and economics, and David Faux, of The Law Office of David H. Faux, will moderate the discussions.
“By bringing together a diverse group of lawyers both from academia and the practicing community, the symposium will highlight the direction and future of this new branch of law while exposing students to a growing area of legal practice and scholarship,” said Amanda Gill, VJOLT’s editor-in-chief.
Schedule - Friday, Feb. 7
Welcome and Introduction of the Keynote Speaker
Partner and Chair of Fashion Law Practice Group, Fox Rothschild LLP
The Future of Fashion Law in Academia
- Charles Colman, Acting Assistant Professor of Lawyering, New York University School of Law
- Doreen Small, Adjunct Professor of Law, Fordham University School of Law and Founding Partner of Marquart & Small LLP
- Ursula Furi-Perry, Director of Academic Support and Adjunct Professor, The Massachusetts School of Law and Partner at Dill & Furi-Perry LLP
- Dotan Oliar, Professor of Law, University of Virginia School of Law (Moderator)
Emerging Legal Issues for Fashion Clients
- Staci Riordan, Partner and Chair of Fashion Law Practice Group, Fox Rothschild LLP
- Deborah Greaves, Secretary & General Counsel, True Religion Brand Jeans
- Mariessa Terrell, Founder, SBC Law Group
- David Faux, The Law Office of David H. Faux, P.C. (Moderator)