German Vargas

Come to UVA Law; I believe you will cherish the memories, just like me.

The LL.M. at UVA Law School is probably one of the most exciting and challenging experiences of my life. At the outset I felt committed to succeed in the program. Studying for the LL.M., I met very talented lawyers from all over the world, and to spend time with them and J.D. students in and out of classes was an enriching experience. In different courses I was able to learn and understand the evolution of legal reasoning from a different standpoint. To think like a lawyer is a concept that I expanded here and it will be an important part of my future performance beyond legal issues.

Finally, as a family man, I came to Charlottesville and UVA with great expectation. And we got much more than we expected. Charlottesville is a great place for families. Every season of the year has its own special attractions. We take with us great moments that we will enjoy for the rest of our lives. More



International students at the University of Virginia are subject to U.S.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations. Prospective non-immigrant students applying to enter this institution from abroad, or who are already in the U.S.A., are personally responsible for complying with DHS regulations. University policy states: "To enroll at the University a foreign national student must be lawfully present in the United States based on U.S. federal immigration law and any visa status held must not prohibit the desired University enrollment." Most international students attending the University of Virginia use either the F-1 or J-1 visa. Evidence of financial capability in support of a visa application will be requested only after an offer of admission is made to the applicant. After receipt of acceptable financial affidavits, the International Student & Scholar Programs Office of the University of Virginia will send the applicant a form I-20 (required for the F visa) or a form DS-2019 (required for the J visa). Most students apply for an F-1 visa stamp at a U.S. consulate abroad. In general, only after receiving an F-1 visa stamp may these students apply to enter the U.S. in F-1 status. Students receiving Fulbright awards must work directly with their home country's binational or Fulbright commissions to receive a form DS-2019, the document necessary for the J-1 entry visa.

Questions related to entry visa matters should be directed to:

International Student & Scholar Programs
208 Minor Hall
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Phone: (434) 982-3010
Fax: (434) 982-3011



The Program | Apply | Academic Information
Student Life | Visits & Tours | About Charlottesville