Class of 2019 and Transfer Student
- Information for 1Ls on Small Sections, Course Schedules, the Curriculum, Class Attendance and More
- Academic Services Information for Transfer Students
- UVA ID Cards
- Health Information
- Computing and Email
- Parking Information
- Locker Rental Information
- Letter from the Peer Advisors
- Getting to the Law School
- Law School General Services and Policies
- Living in Charlottesville
Friday, August 19
8:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (optional activity)
Introduction to the Law School and the Law: A Guide to Your Career in Law School and Beyond
Lunch will be provided. An invitation will be sent to the entering class, and you must RSVP to attend.
Join us for an optional introduction to Law School. We will cover the following topics:
- A general introduction to the American legal system and the procedural steps in litigation leading up to the opinions you will be reading;
- Tips and techniques for preparing for class, analyzing and briefing cases, handling a cold call, taking notes, outlining, studying and taking finals;
- Career paths and an overview of how the job search process works for law firms, public interest and clerkships; and
- Functioning in a professional environment.
Sunday, August 21
9:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. (optional activity)
Eighth Annual Virginia Law New Students Public Service Day
The Public Interest Law Association (PILA) would like to invite all new members of the class to participate and volunteer with local organizations.
Students are asked to arrive at the Law School at 8:30 a.m. to sign in, grab a quick breakfast and pick up their free T-shirts. Students will return to the law school around 1 p.m. All incoming students are welcome and encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity to get to know Charlottesville and their fellow students. Any interested spouses or significant others are also welcome.
All interested students can sign up by emailing Michelle Garafalo at email@example.com (Please email your T-shirt size at the time that you sign up for the event, as well as whether you will be able to drive so that we can arrange carpools.) Questions can also be directed to Michelle Garafalo.
3:30-5:30 p.m. (optional activity)
Picnic at the Park (Spouses, significant others and children are welcome)
The Park (located below the D3 Student Parking Lot)
Monday, August 22
*Sign-in, Withers-Brown Hall Rooms 126, 128 and 152 (LL.M.s in WB127)
Continental Breakfast, Withers-Brown Student Lounge
*Welcome Session, Caplin Auditorium
Dean Risa L. Goluboff
Cordel Faulk, Assistant Dean and Chief Admissions Officer
A. J. Collins, Student Bar Association President
Guest Speaker: Dasha Dwin '98, Managing Director, Grosvenor Capital Management
Sarah E. Davies, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
10:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
*Section Meetings With Peer Advisors
|E||WB101||Transfers and Exchange Students||SL290|
SL - Slaughter Hall
WB - Withers-Brown Hall
*Lunch With Your Section and Peer Advisors
Pick up lunches in Caplin Pavilion:
LL.M.s, Transfers, Exchanges – 12:30 p.m.
Sections A, B, C, D, E – 12:40 p.m.
Sections F, G, H, I, J – 12:50 p.m.
*Sessions on Professionalism, Law and University Policies, and Law School Success
*Meetings With Section Professors
(in rooms where each Section met with its Peer Advisors)
Welcome Picnic for First-Year, Transfer, Exchange and LL.M. Students
Spies Garden (Rain site: Caplin Pavilion)
Tuesday, August 23
Breakfast, Caplin Auditorium
9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
*Sessions on Student Life
*Lunch With Student Organizations
Locations to be announced. Pick up lunches in Caplin Pavilion.
*Ice Cream With Student Organizations
Locations to be announced
Optional Tour of North Grounds Rec Center
Lobby of North Grounds Rec Center
Wednesday, August 24
*1L Classes Begin
Thursday, August 25
Student Services Open House, Purcell Reading Room
- Sarah Davies, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
- Kevin Donovan, Senior Assistant Dean for Career Services
- Jason Dugas, Assistant Dean for Academic Services
- Cordel Faulk, Assistant Dean and Chief Admissions Officer
- Taylor Fitchett, Director of the Law Library
- Kate Gibson, CAPS Psychologist
- Jennifer Hulvey, Director of Financial Aid
- Annie Kim, Assistant Dean for Public Service and Director of the Mortimer Caplin Public Service Center
- Greg Streit, Assistant Dean for Building Services
Each student must secure a photo ID from the University. This photo ID may be obtained at the ID card office in the Observatory Hill Dining Hall on Central Grounds beginning August 1. Please check www.virginia.edu/idoffice for their August office hours. Students who arrive early in Charlottesville may wish to take care of this prior to orientation. You must present an original valid, government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or passport) in order to pick up your ID card.
You may be able to submit a photo online to be used for your UVA ID card. Please check www.virginia.edu/idoffice/photosubmission.html to determine if you can do so. You will still need to pick up your UVA ID after August 1, but the pick-up process will go much faster if you have already submitted a photo online.
Your ID photo will also be used in the Law School’s photo directory and seating charts.