Professor, General Faculty
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1965
A.B., Stanford University, 1962
Robert Nelson Sayler joined the faculty in 2003 after previously teaching as a visiting faculty member. He has served as board president of the Legal Aid Society in Washington. National Law Journal included him in its Top 100 Most Influential Lawyers list in 1997 and 2000, and named him Preeminent Insurance Coverage Lawyer in 1997. That same year he was named Commercial Litigator of the Year by International Commercial Litigation, as well as one of its Litigators of the Year. Sayler is senior counsel and a former partner at Covington & Burling.
Tongue-Tied America: Reviving the Art of Verbal Persuasion (with Molly Bishop Shadel) (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, 2011; 2d ed. 2014).
"The Mother of All Battles: The Quest for Asbestos Insurance Coverage" (with William Skinner), 27 Litigation 45 (2000).
"Tigers at the Gates—The Justice System Approaches Meltdown," 20 Litigation 1 (1993).
"Twenty Years of Litigation" 20 (with Mitchell F. Dolin), Litigation 6 (1993).
"Keynote Address," 68 Ind. L. J. 1093 (1993).
"Suggestions on Challenging Agency Rules and Regulations" (with Bruce D. Sokler), 8 Litigation 30 (1981).
"Organizing Documents by Hand," 9 Litigation 30 (1983).
"The Federal Library of Business" (with Mark Nozette), 5 Litigation 14 (1979).
- "Plato Would Be Horrified by Trump's Rise" (The Washington Post, 04/26/2016)
- "UVA Experts Break Down the Presidential Debate" (NBC 29, 10/04/2012)
- "How to Make an Apology: A Lesson from Aristotle to Mitt Romney" (Co-Author) (Daily Progress, 05/20/2012)
- "Tongue-Tied America" (With Good Reason, 05/21/2011)
- "UVA Law Professors Explain the Art of Public Speaking" (The Washington Post, 03/22/2011)
- "UVa Law Profs Try to Revive Art of Speaking" (Daily Progress, 03/15/2011)
- "New Use for Facebook: Lawyers Using Social Site to Screen Jurors" (CFJC TV7, 02/25/2011)