Brokaw Professor of Corporate Law
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1986
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1992
B.A., Yale University, 1982
George Cohen joined the faculty in 1993 as an associate professor of law after a one-year visit to the Law School. He became a full professor in 1995. He teaches contracts, professional responsibility and agency and partnership. He has also taught antitrust and law and economics.
A summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Yale University, Cohen earned his J.D. in 1986 and a Ph.D. in economics in 1992 from the University of Pennsylvania. During law school, he served as articles editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. Cohen was a clerk to Judge Walter K. Stapleton of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in Wilmington, Del., before joining the law faculty at the University of Pittsburgh in 1988.
Cohen is a member of the American Law and Economics Association and has served as an ethics consultant and expert for several law firms.
The Law and Ethics of Lawyering (with Geoffrey C. Hazard, Jr., Susan P. Koniak, Roger C. Cramton and W. Bradley Wendel) (Foundation Press, 5th ed. 2010).
Foundations of the Law and Ethics of Lawyering (ed. with Susan P. Koniak) (2004).
"Legal and Ethical Duties of Lawyers after Sarbanes-Oxley" (Susan P. Koniak & Roger C. Cramton), forthcoming Villanova L. Rev.
"Norms, Law, and Contract" (with Susan P. Koniak).
"Whose Word Is Law?" (with Susan P. Koniak).
"The Collusion Problem in Agency Law" (1999).
Book Chapters and Multi-Author Works:
“Interpretation and Implied Terms in Contract Law,” in Gerrit De Geest, ed., Contract Law and Economics 125 (Edward Elgar, 2d ed. 2011).
“How Fault Shapes Contract Law,” in Omri Ben Shahar & Ariel Porat, eds., Fault in American Contract Law 53 (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
“Have U.S. Regulators Been Soft on Banks Over Structured Products? Yes” (with David Dana, Susan Koniak, and Tom Ross), 13 Int’l Fin. L. Rev. (2006).
"In Hell There Will Be Lawyers Without Law or Clients" (with Susan P. Koniak), in Deborah Rhode, ed., Ethics in Practice Lawyers' Roles, Responsibilities, and Regulation (Oxford, 2000).
"Interpretation and Implied Terms in Contract Law," in Boudewijn Bouckaert & Gerrit de Geest, eds., Encyclopedia of Law and Economics (Edward Elgar, 2000).
"Replacing Striking Workers: The Law and Economics Approach" (with Michael Wachter), N.Y.U. National Conference on Labor, 43rd Annual Proceedings, 109 (1990).
"An Internal Labor Market Approach to Labor Law: Does Labor Law Promote Efficient Contracting?" (with Michael Wachter), in Industrial Relations Research Association, 41st Annual Proceedings 243 (1988).
“Beyond the No-Contact Rule: Ex Parte Contact by Lawyers with Nonclients," 87 Tul. L. Rev. 1197 (2013).
"The Financial Crisis and the Forgotten Law of Contracts,” 87 Tul. L. Rev. 1 (2012).
"The Fault That Lies Within Our Contract Law," 107 Mich. L. Rev. 1445 (2009).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
“Of Coerced Waiver, Government Leverage, and Corporate Loyalty: The Holder, Thompson, and McNulty Memos and Their Critics,” 93 Va. L. Rev. In Brief 137 (2007).
“Legal and Ethical Duties of Lawyers after Sarbanes-Oxley” (with Roger C. Cramton & Susan P. Koniak), 49 Vill. L. Rev. 725 (2004).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"The Multi-Lawyered Problems of Professional Responsibility," U. Ill. L. Rev. 1409 (2003).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"Finding Fault With Wonnell’s 'Two Contractual Wrongs," 38 San Diego L. Rev. 137 (2001).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"In Hell There Will Be Lawyers Without Clients or Law" (with Susan P. Koniak), 30 Hofstra L. Rev. 129 (2001).
"The 'Fair' Is the Enemy of the Good: Ortiz v. Fibreboard Corporation and Class Action Settlements," 8 Sup. Ct. Econ. Rev. 23 (2000).
SSRN Abstract | HeinOnline (PDF)
"When Law and Economics Met Professional Responsibility," 67 Fordham L. Rev. 273 (1998).
"Legal Malpractice Insurance and Loss Prevention: A Comparative Analysis of Economic Institutions," 4 Conn. Ins. L. J. 305 (1997).
"Under Cloak of Settlement" (with S. Koniak), 82 Va. L. Rev. 1051 (1996).
SSRN Abstract | HeinOnline (PDF) (part 1) | HeinOnline (PDF) (part2)
"The Fault Lines in Contract Damages," 80 Va. L. Rev. 1225 (1994).
"The Negligence-Opportunism Tradeoff in Contract Law," 20 Hofstra L. Rev. 941 (1992).
"The Law and Economics of Collective Bargaining: An Introduction and Application to the Problems of Subcontracting, Partial Closure, and Relocation" (with Michael Wachter), 136 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1349 (1988).
"Comment, Posnerian Jurisprudence and Economic Analysis of Law: The View from the Bench," 133 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1117 (1985).
"The Academics’ Role in the SEC’s Rules, Education and Practice" (Virginia State Bar), Fall 2003.
- Agency and Partnership
- Law and Economics
- Professional Responsibility
- Seminar in Ethical Values
In the Media
- "Ethics Experts Say Justices' Emails to AG's Office Warrant Review" (The Morning Call, 11/04/2014)
- "UVA Faculty Senate Still Lacks Confidence in Board of Visitors" (The Washington Post, 03/14/2013)
- "UVa students vote to change honor code" (The Daily Progress, 03/04/2013)
- "UVA Put on Warning by Accreditation Group" (The Daily Progress, 12/11/2012)
- "Anatomy Of A Campus Coup" (The New York Times Magazine, 09/11/2012)
- "President Sullivan Greets Faculty At The Darden School And Morven Farm" (Examiner, 08/28/2012)
- "UVA President Drama Sways Fundraising" (Associated Press, 08/04/2012)
- "The Faculty Factor" (Inside Higher Ed, 07/16/2012)
- "University of Virginia Board Reinstates President" (The Virginian-Pilot, 06/27/2012)
- "U-Va. Seeks Normalcy after Sullivan Reinstatement, But Questions Linger" (The Washington Post, 06/27/2012)
- "UVa's Faculty Leaders Gain New Power After President Is Reinstated" (The Chronicle of Higher Education", 06/27/2012)
- "Public Universities Grapple with Money, Technology and Mission" (PBS Newshour, 06/27/2012)
- "Month's Events Provide a Jump Start for the Faculty Senate" (UVA Today, 06/27/2012)
- "U-Va. Leadership Crisis: Sullivan Allies Claim Momentum to Keep Her as President" (The Washington Post, 06/25/2012)
- "Virginia Echoes Harvard as Faculty Rises Up to Rehire President" (Bloomberg Businessweek, 06/25/2012)
- "New Meeting is Set on Fate of University President" (The New York Times, 06/21/2012)
- "Two Resignations Rock the University of Virginia" (The New York Times, 06/20/2012)
- "U-Va.'s Board Should Open Up About President's Ouster" (The Washington Post, 06/12/2012)
- "What Will Come of Illinois' False LSAT and GPA Reporting?" (The National Jurist, 10/10/2011)
- "Lawyers Question Firm's Decision to Ditch Gay Marriage Case" (Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 04/27/2011)
- "Analysis: NY Suit against Ernst & Young Fills Regulatory Gap" (Reuters, 12/21/2010)
- "Forced Pro Bono: But is it Legal?" (Wall Street Journal Law Blog, 09/21/2010)
- "Buffett, Moody's CEO Rate a Date on Market Crisis" (Reuters, 05/31/2010)
- "Goldman Sachs Should Cut Losses in SEC Standoff" (Bloomberg Businessweek, 04/23/2010)
- "How Washington Abetted the Bank Job" (The New York Times, 04/03/2010)
- Rating Agencies Lose Free-Speech Claim (Reuters, 09/03/2009)
- "A Matter of Opinion?" (New York Times, 07/18/2009)
- "Va., Tenn., Among States with No Attorney-Client Sexual Relations Ban" (Bristol Herald-Courier, 03/16/2009)
- "In Vioxx Settlement, Testing a Legal Ideal: A Lawyer’s Loyalty" (The New York Times, 01/22/2008)
- "AEI on Vioxx" (Blog of Legal Times, 01/07/2008)
- "The Vioxx Settlement" (C-SPAN, 01/07/2008)
- "Attorney for Refco Accused of Fraud" (Chicago Tribune, 12/19/2007)
- "Vioxx Plaintiffs' Choice: Settle or Lose Their Lawyer" (Wall Street Journal, 11/16/2007)
- "Prosecutor Previously Represented Vick's Dad" (Newport News Daily Press, 10/26/2007)
- "In-House Attorneys, Watch Your Step/The Conviction of Conrad Black's Corporate Counsel Sends a Chilling Message" (BusinessWeek, 08/06/2007)
- "New Jitters for In-House Attorneys" (The Informed Reader-WSJ.com, 07/29/2007)
- "Refco Fallout May Hit Lawyers/Examiner's Report Suggests Regulation of Professionals Should Be Stronger" (Chicago Tribune, 07/22/2007)
- "Bye, Bye Enron, Regulators Say" (CFO via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge, 01/23/2007)
- "U.S. Indictment for Big Law Firm in Class Actions" (New York Times, 05/19/2006)
- "Airlines Can Legally Meet" (Fort Worth Star-Telegram , 03/10/2006)