Professor of Law
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2006
D.Phil., University of Oxford, 2003
M.Phil., University of Oxford, 2000
B.A., University of North Carolina, 1998
Leslie Kendrick joined the faculty in 2008. She teaches courses in torts, property, and constitutional law, particularly First Amendment law. Her research focuses primarily on freedom of expression.
Kendrick received a B.A. in classics and English as a Morehead Scholar at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She received her master's and doctorate in English literature at the University of Oxford, where she studied as a Rhodes Scholar. In law school she served as essays development editor for the Virginia Law Review and received the Margaret G. Hyde Award, the Hardy Cross Dillard Scholarship, the Law School Alumni Association Best Note Award, the Brown Award for Excellence in Legal Writing, the Food & Drug Law Institute H. Thomas Austern Short Paper Award, and the Virginia State Bar Family Law Book Award. Before joining the faculty, Kendrick clerked for Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and for Justice David Hackett Souter of the Supreme Court of the United States.
"Free Speech and Guilty Minds," 114 Colum. L. Rev. 1255 (2014).
"What's Speech Got to Do With It?" Wm. & Mary L. Rev. (symposium) (forthcoming 2014).
"Speech, Intent, and the Chilling Effect," 54 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1633 (2013).
"Disclosure and Its Discontents," 27 J. L. & Pol. 575 (2012).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"Content Discrimination Revisited," 98 Va. L. Rev. 231 (2012).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"Content Neutrality and Compelling Interests: The October 2010 Term," 98 Va. L. Rev. in Brief 14 (2012).
"The Lockean Rights of Bequest and Inheritance," 17 Legal Theory 145 (2011).
"FDA's Regulation of Prescription Drug Labeling: A Role for Implied Preemption," 62 Food & Drug L. J. 227 (2007).
"A Test for Criminally Instructional Speech," 91 Va. L. Rev. 1973 (2005).
In the Media
- "Mass. moves on abortion clinic bill: How is it different from buffer zone law?" (Christian Science Monitor, 07/17/2014)
- "Supreme Court Strikes Down Expanded Abortion Clinic Buffer Zone" (The Washington Times, 06/28/2014)
- "Supreme Court Ruling Could Impact Case" (CBS19, 06/26/2014)
- "'Islamic Jew-hatred' bus ads featuring Hitler roll out on D.C. streets" (USA Today, 05/22/2014)
- "Kendrick Says New York Times v Sullivan Changed law (Audio)" (Bloomberg Law, 03/18/2014)
- "In Supreme Court Ruling, Drugmakers Win and Consumers Lose" (Forbes, 06/24/2013)
- "Leslie Kendrick: 'The Impossibility of Impossibility Preemption' (TortsProf Blog, 03/17/2013)
- "High Court Spotlight Misses First Amendment" (Constitution Daily, 10/02/2012)
- "Is Facebook Free Speech? UVA Law Profs Weigh In On Hampton Firings" (The Daily Progress, 08/17/2012)
- "Scholars Weigh In On Facebook Decision" (Daily Press, 08/15/2012)
- "Stolen Valor Act Case: A Checklist of Things to Watch" (First Amendment Center, 02/20/2012)