Armistead M. Dobie Professor of Law Emeritus
LL.B., University of Virginia School of Law, 1963
B.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute, 1960
Graham Lilly joined the faculty in 1967. He served as assistant dean from 1969 until 1973, when he was appointed executive director of the Law School Foundation. In 1976 Lilly returned to full-time teaching. His primary teaching fields are evidence, civil procedure, federal courts, constitutional law, and conflict of laws. In 1980 he was named Henry L. and Grace Doherty Professor of Law, and in 1987 he was appointed to the Armistead M. Dobie Professorship. He was associate dean for academic affairs during 1986-89 and associate provost of the University from 1989 to 1990. During the period 1992-95, Lilly held the Class of 1948 Research Professorship. He held the Thomas F. Bergin Chair from 1996 to 1999.
Immediately after his graduation from law school, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and the editorial board of the Virginia Law Review, Lilly practiced law with Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C. Subsequently, as a captain in the U.S. Army, he was a member of the faculty in the Judge Advocate General's School in Charlottesville.