Blaine T. Phillips Distinguished Professor of Environmental Law
Director, Environmental and Land Use Law Program
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1974
B.A., Williams College, 1967
Jonathan Cannon, director of the Law School's Environmental and Land Use Law Program, joined the Law School faculty in 1998 from the Environmental Protection Agency, where he served as general counsel (1995-98) and assistant administrator for administration and resources management (1992-95). Prior to his work with the EPA, Cannon was in the private practice of environmental law; served as an adjunct professor at Washington and Lee Law School, where he taught environmental law; and was a lecturer at the Law School.
“Taking Enforcement on Its Own Terms: EPA’s Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Litigation,” 5 Reg. & Governance 262 (2011).
"The Sounds of Silence: Cost Benefit Canons in Entergy Corp. v. Riverkeeper, Inc.," 34 Harv. Envtl. L. Rev. 425 (2010).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"America’s Energy Future: Balancing Renewable Power and Carbon Fuel" (with Michael R. Bucy), Miller Center, University of Virginia (April 2009).
"Respecting EPA: Restraining Presidential Influence in EPA Decisionmaking Leads to Better Environmental and Political Outcomes," 39 Envtl. L. Rep. 10080 (January 2009).
"Over the Life of a Site," Envtl. F., Sept./Oct. 2008, at 27.
“Sustainable Watersheds,” Commentary, 107 Mich. L. Rev. First Impressions 74 (2008).
“A Bargain for Clean Water,” 17 N.Y.U. Envtl. L.J. 608 (2008).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
“Adaptive Management in Superfund: Thinking Like a Contaminated Site,” in G. Macey & J. Cannon, eds., Reclaiming the Land: Rethinking Superfund Institutions, Methods, and Practices 49 (Springer, 2007).
"Reclaiming the Land: Rethinking Superfund Institutions, Methods, and Practices" (editor with G. Macey) (Springer, 2007).
"Words and Worlds: The Supreme Court in Rapanos and Carabell," 25 Va. Envtl. L. J. 277 (2007).
"The Significance of Massachusetts v. EPA," 93 Va. L. Rev. In Brief 53 (2007).
"Checking in on the Chesapeake: Some Questions of Design," 40 U. Rich. L. Rev. 1131 (2006).
"Environmentalism and the Supreme Court: A Cultural Analysis," 33 Ecol. L. Q. 363 (2006).
"Adaptive Management in Superfund: Thinking Like a Contaminated Site," 13 N.Y.U. Envtl. L.J. 561 (2005).
"Presidential Greenspeak: How Presidents Talk About the Environment and What It Means" (with Jonathan Riehl), 23 Stan. Envtl. L.J. 195 (2004).
"How Local Environmental Laws Can Further Federal Environmental Goals," in John R. Nolan, ed., New Ground: The Advent of Local Environmental Law (Environmental Law Institute, 2003).
“Bargaining, Politics and Law in Environmental Regulation,” in Environmental Contracts: Comparative Approaches to Regulatory Innovation in the United States and Europe (Kluwer Law International, 2001).
"EPA and Congress (1994-2000): Who's Been Yanking Whose Chain?," 31 Envtl. L. Rep. 10942 (2001).
"Choices and Institutions in Watershed Management," 25 Wm. & Mary Envtl. L. & Pol’y Rev. 379 (2000).
“Geographic Approaches to Environmental Management: Bioregionalism Applied,” in Proceedings, Watershed ‘93: A National Conference on Watershed Management (March 1993).
“Superfund Liability Provisions: Impact on the Industrial and Insurance Sectors,” in U.S. Waste Management Policies: Impact on Economic Growth and Investment Strategies (American Council for Capital Formation, Monograph Series on Tax and Environmental Policies and U.S. Growth, May 1992).
“Superfund Transaction Costs” (with W.N. Hedeman and D.M. Friedland), Vol. XXI, No. 7 Envtl L. Rep. (1991).
“Rethinking RCRA for the 1990s” (with M.E. Williams), Vol. XXI, No. 2 Envtl L. Rep. (1991).
- Energy And The Environment (Section 1)
- Toxic Chemicals In The Environment (Sc) (Section 1)
- Land Use Law (Section 1)
- Science And Policy Of Biodiversity Conservation (Section 1)
In the Media
- "Nice guys finish ... second" (Greewire, 02/27/2014)
- "For Ken Cuccinelli, Losing Big Cases Won't Work Forever" (The Washington Post, 06/30/2012)
- "Chesapeake Bay Case Settled With Nation's Largest Water Cleanup Plan" (Environmental News Service, 05/11/2010)
- “EPA Studying Own Carbon-Trading System, Official Says” (Bloomberg News Service, 03/15/2010)
- "Filling Void Left by Congress, States Take on Carbon Trading" (Bloomberg News Service, 01/11/2010)
- "States Expected to Lead Carbon Markets as Federal Plan Stalls" (Business Week, 01/07/2010)
- "Sotomayor's Record on Enviro Issues Faces Scrutiny as Hearings Begin" (Greenwire, 07/13/2009)
- "Environment Groups Find Less Support on Court" (The New York Times, 07/03/2009)
- "High Court Losses Stun Environmentalists" (The National Law Journal, 06/29/2009)
- "Many of the 'Hands-On' Positions in Obama Administration Going to Law Professors (The National Law Journal, 02/25/2009)
- "EPA Missing in Action on Major Environmental Issues, Observers Charge" (Government Executive.com, 04/14/2008)
- “Supreme Court ‘Pre-Emption’ Cases Cast Shadow over Enviro Regs” (Greenwire, 10/05/2007)
- "Court Takes Up Landmark Wetlands Case" (Associated Press, 10/11/2005)
- "Roberts' Questionnaire, History Offer Little Insight into Enviro Philosophy" (Greenwire, 08/03/2005)
- "Supreme Court Debates Pollution Cleanup Lawsuits" (Associated Press, 10/06/2004)
- "Residents Battle Proposed Jet Field" (The Virginian-Pilot, 03/08/2004)
- "E.P.A. Says It Lacks Power to Regulate Some Gases" (The New York Times, 08/29/2003)