Lewis F. Powell, Jr., Professor of Law
Co-Director, Program in Law and Public Service
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1984
M.A., Columbia University, 1979
B.A., Tufts University, 1978
Anne M. Coughlin is the Lewis F. Powell, Jr., Professor of Law at the University of Virginia. She taught at Vanderbilt Law School from 1991-95, and she joined the University of Virginia faculty in 1996 after visiting during the 1995-96 academic year. Her primary research and teaching interests are in the areas of criminal law, criminal procedure, feminist jurisprudence and law and humanities. She is co-author of a casebook on criminal law, and she has written a number of articles exploring the intersections among criminal law, criminal procedure and feminist theory, as well as essays concerning the connections between law and literature.
In 1999, Coughlin received an All-University Teaching Award, one of the University's highest honors for excellence in teaching, research and service. She is co-chair of the National Association of Women Lawyers Supreme Court Evaluation Committee and of its Amicus Committee. Coughlin received her J.D. from New York University School of Law. At NYU Law School, Coughlin won numerous awards, and she served as managing editor for the New York University Law Review. After graduation, she clerked for Judge Jon O. Newman of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Lewis F. Powell Jr.
Scholarship Profile: At the Intersection of Criminal Law and Feminist Jurisprudence (Virginia Journal 1999)
Criminal Law: Cases and Materials (with Richard J. Bonnie, John C. Jeffries, Jr. & Peter W. Low) (Foundation Press, 3d ed. 2010).
“The Accidental Feminist,” in Michael Klarman et al., eds., The Political Heart of Criminal Procedure: Essays on Themes of William J. Stuntz 111 (Cambridge University Press, 2012).
"Interrogation Stories," 95 Va. L. Rev. 1599 (2009).
“Representing the Forbidden,” 90 Cal. L. Rev. 2143 (2002).
SSRN Abstract | HeinOnline (PDF)
"Whose Honor? Whose Revenge?: Comments on Figueredo's 'Blame, Retribution and Deterrence'," 8 Va. J. Soc. Pol’y & L. 253 (2000).
"I’m in the Mood for Law" (reviewing Binder & Weisberg, Literary Criticisms of Law), 53 Stan. L. Rev. 209 (2000).
"Writing for Justice Powell," 99 Colum. L. Rev. 541 (1999).
"C’est Moi," 83 Minn. L. Rev. 1619 (1999).
"Sex and Guilt," 84 Va. L. Rev. 1 (1998),
SSRN Abstract | HeinOnline (PDF)
"Sex and Self-Governance," 29 McGeorge L. Rev. 17 (1997).
"From White Slaves and Domestic Hostages," 1 Buff. Crim. L. Rev. 109 (1997).
SSRN Abstract | HeinOnline (PDF)
"Regulating the Self: Autobiographical Performances in Outsider Scholarship," 81 Va. L. Rev. 1229 (1995).
"Excusing Women," 82 Cal. L. Rev. 1 (1994).
- Advanced Issues in Criminal Justice
- Criminal Investigation
- Criminal Law
- Gender and the Law (seminar)
- Law and Literature (seminar)
- Ethical Values (seminar)
In the Media
- "Preventing Campus Rapes: Our View" (USA Today, 08/04/2014)
- "The Missing Key to Fighting Sexual Assault on Campus" (Slate, 05/08/2014)
- "Jed Rubenfeld on Rape Law: Feminists Debate Force Versus Non-Consent" (New Republic, 05/06/2014)
- "Sexual Assault on College Campuses" (RadioTimes, 01/28/2014)
- "Flash Seminars at UVA" (The Virginia Advocate, 01/28/2014)
- "Protecting Women Is Not ‘Victim Blaming’" (The New York Times, 10/23/2013)
- "College Women: Stop Getting Drunk" (Slate, 10/15/2013)
- "Neighborhood Checkpoint Spurs Albemarle Man to Question Police Power" (The Daily Progress, 07/28/2013)
- "Sexual Distraction? The Fear That May Keep Women Out of Special Ops" (NBC News, 07/18/2013)
- "Civil Liberties Group Criticizes Police Use of License Plate Scanners" (CBS 19 Newsplex, 07/17/2013)
- "To Stop Sexual Assault Against Women in the US Military, Add More Women" (Christian Science Monitor, 06/24/2013)
- "In the Army, Sex Discrimination Begins at West Point" (Co-Author) (The Washington Post, 06/21/2013)
- "Will the U.S. Military Really Welcome Women on Battlefields?" (NPR - Morning Edition, 06/19/2013)
- "Women in Combat: Obstacles Remain as Exclusion Policy Ends" (NPR - Morning Edition, 05/15/2013)
- "Women in Combat Victor Unclear as Roles Debated" (The Daily Progress, 02/16/2013)
- "Military Personnel and Experts Discuss Women in Combat" (C-SPAN, 02/01/2013)
- "Women and the Draft" (The Volokh Conspiracy, 01/26/2013)
- "Pentagon Lifts Ban on Women in Combat" (The Irish Times, 01/25/2013)
- "How Will Women Change the Military?" (Minnesota Public Radio, 01/25/2013)
- "Do Women Have a Constitutional Right to Serve in Military Combat?" (Constitution Daily, 01/24/2013)
- "Not So Fast: Women on Frontlines 'Distracting' Say Critics" (NBC News, 01/24/2013)
- "Widespread Praise, But Some Doubt, Over Women in Combat" (The Los Angeles Times, 01/24/2013)
- "Pentagon Lifting Ban on Women in Combat" (KCRW/To The Point, 01/24/2013)
- "Pentagon to Lift Ban on Women in Combat" (The Virginian-Pilot, 01/24/2013)
- "Women in Combat: Will They Have to Register for the Draft?" (The Christian Science Monitor, 01/23/2013)
- "Women Allowed in Combat: Will That Mean It's Less Safe for Men?" (The Christian Science Monitor, 01/23/2013)
- "Department of Defense Lifts Ban on Women in Combat" (NBC29, 01/23/2013)
- "Lawsuit Questioned Constitutionality of Ban on Women in Combat" (NPR, 01/23/2013)
- "Analyst: Barring Women From Combat Positions 'Sexist,' 'Humiliating'" (The Voice of Russia, 11/29/2012)
- "ACLU Files Suit to Allow Women in Combat Positions" (NPR, 11/27/2012)
- "Female Soldiers Fight in Court for Right to Combat Positions" (The Seattle Times, 10/16/2012)
- "Female Soldiers Fight Pentagon in Court for Combat Positions" (Los Angeles Times, 10/11/2012)
- "Women on the Front Lines" (To The Point/KCRW, 07/05/2012)
- "Women in Combat: U.S. Military on Verge of Making it Official" (Christian Science Monitor, 07/02/2012)
- "Pride, Optimism Mark U.Va. Rally for Sullivan" (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 06/24/2012)
- "Bristow Army Reservist Files Suit Over Ban on Women in Combat" (Inside NoVa, 05/30/2012)
- "Constitution Check: Do Women Have a Constitutional Right to Serve in Military Combat" (Constitution Daily, 05/29/2012)
- "Two Female Army Officers Sue to Reverse Combat Ban" (Associated Press - Appeared in The New York Times, Fox News, ABC News, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Boston Globe, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, The Huffington Post and The Austin American-Statesman, 05/25/2012)
- "Lawsuit Challenges Combat Exclusion for Women" (Air Force Times, 05/25/2012)
- "Women in Combat Sue Military Over Ban on Combat Roles" (The Los Angeles Times, 05/25/2012)