Associate Professor of Law
J.D., Yale Law School, 2009
Ph.D., Yale University, 2011
B.S., Ohio State University, 2002
B.A., Ohio State University, 2002
Quinn Curtis joined the law faculty in 2011. He teaches corporations, securities and real estate law. His research focuses on empirical law and finance and includes work on mutual funds, corporate governance and mortgages.
Curtis received his undergraduate degrees in philosophy and physics magna cum laude from Ohio State University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. from Yale Law School, where he served as an articles editor on the Yale Law Journal. He received his Ph.D. in finance from Yale School of Management in 2011. Prior to attending law school, Curtis worked as a software engineer at Microsoft Corporation.
"Taking Exit Rights Seriously: Why Governance and Fee Litigation Don’t Work in Mutual Funds" (with John Morley), 120 Yale L.J. 84 (2010).
SSRN | Journal
"An Empirical Study of Mutual Fund Excessive Fee Litigation: Do the Merits Matter?" (with John Morley) 30 J.L. Econ. & Org. __ (forthcoming).
SSRN | Journal
"Foreclosure Law and Mortgage Origination in the Prime and Subprime Markets," Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics (forthcoming).
"Beyond Diversification: The Pervasive Problem of Excessive Fees and 'Dominated Funds' in 401(k) Plans" (with Ian Ayres), Yale L. J. (forthcoming).
"Protecting Consumer Investors through Improved Performance Competition" (with Ian Ayres), U. Ill. L. Rev. (forthcoming).
"The Flawed Mechanics of Mutual Fund Excessive Fee Litigation" (with John Morley), Yale Journal of Regulation (forthcoming).
"Interlocking Board Seats and Protection for Directors after Schoon" (with Michal Barzuza).
"Investor and Fiduciary Losses in 401(k) Plans" (with Ian Ayres).
In the Media
- "Va. Sues Banks for $1.15 Billion for Allegedly Defrauding Taxpayers During Mortgage Crisis" (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 09/17/2014)
- "Retirement Savers' Fund Fees Move Lower: ICI" (Investment News, 07/15/2014)
- "3 Ways to Fight High Fees in Your 401(k) (The Wall Street Journal, 06/23/2014)
- "Redefining Retirement" (KTVN, 05/25/2014)
- "Are Fees Eating Your Retirement Investments?" (UVA Today, 05/24/2014)
- "How to Pay Lower Fees on Your Retirement Investments" (U.S. News and World Report, 04/14/2014)
- "Don't Bother With That High Cost 401(k)" (Forbes, 03/17/2014)
- "Protect us from lousy 401(k) plans?" (Bankrate, 03/12/2014)
- "401(k) Plans’ Pervasive Problem of Excess Fees" (AI-CIO, 03/11/2014)
- "High Fees Can Swallow 401(k) Tax Savings, Researchers Warn" (Financial Advisor, 03/11/2014)
- "Canada: Your 401(k) Plan And The Shape Of The Earth" (Mondaq, 03/05/2014)
- "How To Avoid Trap Doors In Your 401(k) Plan" (Forbes, 03/03/2014)
- "Interlocking Board Seats and Protection for Directors after Schoon" (Harvard Law School Blog, 01/13/2014)