Dean, David and Mary Harrison Distinguished Professor of Law, and Arnold H. Leon Professor of Law
J.D., Yale Law School, 1984
B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1981
Paul G. Mahoney became dean of the Law School in July 2008. He is a David and Mary Harrison Distinguished Professor and the Arnold H. Leon Professor of Law. Mahoney's teaching and research areas are securities regulation, law and economic development, corporate finance, financial derivatives and contracts. He has published widely in law reviews and peer-reviewed finance and law and economics journals.
Mahoney joined the Law School faculty in 1990 after practicing law with the New York firm of Sullivan & Cromwell and clerking for Judge Ralph K. Winter, Jr. of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and Justice Thurgood Marshall of the U.S. Supreme Court. He served as academic associate dean at the Law School from 1999 to 2004 and has held the Albert C. BeVier Research Chair and the Brokaw Chair in Corporate Law. He has been a visiting professor at the University of Chicago Law School, the University of Southern California Law School and the University of Toronto Faculty of Law. He has also worked on legal reform projects in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia and Nepal.
Mahoney is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He served as an associate editor of the Journal of Economic Perspectives from 2004 to 2007 and as a director of the American Law and Economics Association from 2002 to 2004. He is a past recipient of the All-University Outstanding Teacher Award and the Law School's Traynor Award for excellence in faculty scholarship.
Scholarship Profile: Looking for Proof of Law’s Purpose and Effect (Virginia Journal 2005)
“Economic Uncertainty and the Role of the Courts,” 35 Harv. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y 187 (2012).
“The Public Utility Pyramids,” 41 J. Legal Stud. 37 (2012).
Review of Andrei Shleifer, The Failure of Judges and the Rise of Regulators (MIT Press, 2012), 153 Pub. Choice 515 (2012).
“Legal Origin or Colonial History?” (with Daniel M. Klerman, Holger Spamann, and Mark I. Weinstein), 3 J. Legal Analysis 379 (2011).
"The Development of Securities Law in the United States," 47 J. Acct. Res. 325 (2009).
"Legal Origin?" (with Daniel Klerman), 35 J. Comp. Econ. 278 (2007).
"The Common Law and Legal Reform in China," Pacific Studies (in English); Global L. Rev.120 (in Chinese) (2007).
“Market Manipulation: A Comprehensive Study of Stock Pools," (with Guolin Jiang & Jianping Mei), 77 J. Fin. Econ. 147 (2005).
“The Value of Judicial Independence: Evidence from Eighteenth Century England,” (with Daniel M. Klerman), 7 Am. L. & Econ. Rev. 1 (2005).
“General and Specific Legal Rules,” (with Chris Sanchirico), 161 J. Inst’l & Theoretical Econ. 329 (2005).
"Manager-Investor Conflicts in Mutual Funds," 18 J. Econ. Persp. 161 (2004).
“Market Microstructure and Market Efficiency,” 28 J. Corp. L. 541 (2003).
"Norms, Repeated Games, and the Role of Law" (with Chris Sanchirico), 91 Cal. L. Rev. 1281 (2003).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"The Origins of the Blue Sky Laws: A Test of Competing Hypotheses," 46 J.L. & Econ. 229 (2003).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"The Common Law and Economic Growth: Hayek Might be Right," 30 J. Legal Stud. 503 (2001).
SSRN | HeinOnline (PDF)
"Competing Norms and Social Evolution: Is the Fittest Norm Efficient?" (with Chris Sanchirico), 149 U. Penn. L. Rev. 2027 (2001).
"The Political Economy of the Securities Act of 1933," 30 J. Legal Stud. 1 (2001).
"Contract or Concession? An Essay on the History of Corporate Law," 34 Ga. L. Rev. 873 (2000)
"The Appraisal Remedy and Merger Premiums" (with Mark Weinstein), 1 Am. Law & Econ. Rev. 239 (1999).
"The Stock Pools and the Securities Exchange Act," 51 J. Fin. Econ. 343 (1999).
"The Exchange as Regulator," 83 Va. L. Rev. 1453 (1997).
"Technology, Property Rights in Information, and Securities Regulation," 75 Wash. U.L.Q. 815 (1997).
"Mandatory Disclosure as a Solution to Agency Problems," 62 U. Chi. L. Rev. 1047 (1995).
"Contract Remedies and Options Pricing," 24 J. Legal Stud. 139 (1995).
"Precaution Costs and the Law of Fraud in Impersonal Markets," 78 Va. L. Rev. 623 (1992).
"Regulation of International Securities Issues," Regulation, Spring 1991.
Book Chapters and Monographs:
“Contract Remedies: General,” in Gerrit De Geest, ed., Contract Law and Economics 155 (Edward Elgar, 2d ed. 2011).
Public and Private Rule Making in Securities Markets (Cato Institute, 2003).
"Information Technology and the Organization of Securities Markets," in Robert E. Litan & Richard Herring, eds., Brookings-Wharton Papers on Financial Services 345 (The Brookings Institution, 2002).
"Trust and Opportunism in Close Corporations," in Randall Mörck, ed., Concentrated Corporate Ownership (University of Chicago Press, 2000).
"Contract Remedies: General," in The Encyclopedia of Law & Economics (2000).
"Option Pricing and Contract Remedies," in The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics and the Law (Palgrave Macmillan,1998).
"Preconditions to the Development of Capital Markets in the Former Soviet Union," U. Toledo monograph (1992).
Essays and Comments:
"Norms and Signals: Some Skeptical Observations" (reviewing Posner, Law and Social Norms), 36 U. Rich. L. Rev. 387 (2002).
"Simple Rules for Complex Markets: Comment," 158 J. Inst. & Theoretical Econ. 28 (2002).
"Adverse Selection and Gains to Controllers in Corporate Freezeouts: Comment," in Randall Mörck, ed., Concentrated Corporate Governance 259 (National Bureau of Economic Research, 2000).
"The First Thing We Do, Let’s Pay All the Lawyers," 66 U. Chi. L. Rev. 922 (1999).
"Is There a Cure for 'Excessive' Trading?," 81 Va. L. Rev. 713 (1995).
"Securities Regulation by Enforcement: An International Perspective," 7 Yale J. on Reg. 305 (1990).
"The Pernicious Art of Securities Regulation," (reviewing Stuart Banner, Anglo-American Securities Regulation ) 66 U. Chi. L. Rev. 1373 (1999).
Book Review of Poser, International Securities Regulation, 31 Va. J. Int'l L. 761 (1991).
In the Media
- "Edward Kennedy's diploma delivered 55 years later" (The Associated Press, 05/19/2014)
- "UVA Law funds the first jobs of many of its grads—should it matter?" (C-Ville, 04/30/2014)
- "When grads are jobless, schools come to the rescue" (Fortune, 04/24/2014)
- "2014 Thomas Jefferson Foundation Medals Will Go to Toyo Ito, Kenneth Feinberg, Jim Webb" (UVA Today, 03/11/2014)
- "Faculty Hiring Among Challenges UVa Faces, Board Members Hear" (The Daily Progress, 09/19/2013)
- "UVA Law School Dean Reappointed" (WINA, 06/27/2013)
- "UVA Law School Completes Capital Campaign, Surpasses $150 Million Goal" (NBC29, 07/18/2012)
- "The Bankers Who Cried Wolf: Wall Street's History Of Hyperbole About Regulation" (Huffington Post, 06/21/2011)
- "Law Jobs Will Be Harder to Come By" (U.S. News & World Report, 06/25/2010)
- "Goldman's Top Lawyer Lays Low but Packs Punch" (Reuters, 04/19/2010)
- "Does Supreme Court's Harvard-Yale Dominance Bother Obama?" (McClatchy Newspapers, 04/16/2010)
- "Making Bankers Pay: It's Happened Before" (SmartMoney, 01/13/2010)
- “Treasury Resolution Plan Solves Nothing” (American Banker, 11/20/2009)
- "Regulation of Financial Institutions" (Above the Law, 11/16/2009)
- "Chance for Real Financial Reform Has Passed, Former SEC Commissioner Says" (Blog for the Legal Times, 11/14/2009)
- "Kennedy's UVa Law Roots Remembered" (The Daily Progress, 08/27/2009)
- "Darkness at Davos May Hide Secrets From Transparency Spotlight" (Bloomberg.com, 01/27/2009)
- "Barker Grant Aids U.Va. Animal Law Program" (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 01/14/2009)
- "Law Schools Hiring Faculty Couples" (Lawjobs.com, 09/11/2008)
- "More Law Schools Hiring Professor Power Couples" (ABA Journal, 09/11/2008)
- "CSX Vote Delay--Desperate Gamble or Shrewd Move?" (The Guardian, 06/26/2008)
- "Getting Business School Skills While in Law School" (U.S. News & World Report, 03/26/2008)
- "Shame Fills a Vacuum in China's Financial Law Enforcement" (The Economist, 02/28/2008)
- "Mahoney is Named 11th Dean at U.Va.'s School of Law" (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 02/26/2008)
- "UVA Names New Law School Dean" (WSLS-10 Roanoke, VA, 02/25/2008)
- "Law School Has New Dean" (The Daily Progress, 02/25/2008)
- "Paul G. Mahoney — Scholar, Teacher and Corporate Law Expert – Named Dean of the University of Virginia School of Law" (UVa Today, 02/25/2008)
- “Borrowers Enjoy Upper Hand” (Daily Deal, 09/06/2007)
- "Law Professors Receive Distinction: BOV Appoints Three Professors as David and Mary Harrison Distinguished Professors of Law" (Cavalier Daily, 10/04/2006)
- "Rejecting the Proposed Cure/Efforts to Clean Up America's Financial Markets Fall Apart" (Economist Global Agenda, 06/27/2006)
- "REFCO's CEO Out Over Link to Debt" (Chicago Tribune, 10/11/2005)
- "Commentary: The SEC Doesn't Want the Truth to Get Out" ([Canada] National Post , 09/22/2004)