Michael A. Livermore
Associate Professor of Law
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2006
B.A., University of Albany
Michael A. Livermore joined the faculty as an associate professor of law in 2013. His primary teaching and research interests are in administrative law, environmental law, cost-benefit analysis and executive review of agency decision-making. He has published numerous books, chapters and articles on these topics, with a special focus on the role of interest groups and public-choice dynamics in shaping the application and methodology of cost-benefit analysis.
Prior to joining the faculty, Livermore spent five years as the founding executive director of the Institute for Policy Integrity at New York University School of Law, a think tank dedicated to improving the quality of government decision-making through advocacy and scholarship in the areas of administrative law, cost-benefit analysis and regulation. During his time there, the institute participated in dozens of regulatory proceedings on a diverse set of issues ranging from climate change to prison safety.
Livermore earned his J.D. magna cum laude from NYU Law, where he was a Furman Scholar, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and served as a managing editor of the Law Review. After law school, he spent a year as a fellow at NYU Law's Center on Environmental and Land Use Law before clerking for Judge Harry T. Edwards on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
In the Media
- "Prisen på liv kan tippe talkrig til fagbevægelsens fordel" (AVISEN.DK, 02/26/2015)
- "The Ongoing Offshore Oil Drilling Debate" (WVTF, 02/19/2015)
- "EPA’s Ozone Standard Is Insufficiently Stringent, Not Overly Expensive" (RegBlog, 02/16/2015)
- "Are Low Oil Prices an Opening for a Carbon Tax?" (Marketplace, 01/05/2015)
- "OFFSHORE DRILLING: Policy Integrity's Livermore Says BOEM Moving Too Quickly on New Leases" (E&ETV, 09/15/2014)
- "Conservative Justices Give Government a Victory on Climate Change" (Newsweek, 06/23/2014)
- "Carbon capturing about ready for prime time, experts say" (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 06/07/2014)
- "UVa. Today: Michael Livermore" (CBS19, 06/04/2014)
- "EPA Proposal Seeks 30 Percent Reduction In Carbon Dioxide From Power Plants by 2030" (Bloomberg BNA, 06/03/2014)
- "U.Va. expert: Carbon proposal 'most important environmental rule ever'" (Richmond Times-Dispatch, 06/02/2014)
- “No funcionó” el “camino elegante” de lograr acuerdo mundial para afrontar el cambio climático; ahora gobiernos deben actuar solos" (Busqueda, 05/15/2014)
- "Policy Integrity adviser Livermore says administration underestimating social cost of carbon" (E&ETV OnPoint, 04/08/2014)
- "The Democratic Case for Job Impact Analysis" (RegBlog, 03/18/2014)
- "The Anti-Capture Justification for Regulatory Review" (Co-Author) (RegBlog, 12/02/2013)
- "A Supreme Victory for Climate Rules" (co-author) (Huffington Post, 10/15/2013)
- "Greenhouse-Gas Fight Escalates" (The Wall Street Journal, 09/02/2013)