Torts and insurance law
- His torts treatise, "The Forms and Functions of Tort Law," has become a basic text for first-year law students across the country.
- Leading insurance law scholar and author of the foremost casebook in the field
- Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and member of the Council of the American Law Institute
Criminal procedure, civil rights litigation, torts and constitutional law
- Served as attorney adviser in the Office of Legal Counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice
- Frequently provides commentary on Supreme Court decisions (Supreme Court Roundup)
- Spent eight months working at a mission hospital in Haiti before pursuing her J.D. Her life as a nurse and theologian shaped her approach to law teaching and scholarship.