Building Access

The Law School’s exterior doors are unlocked Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. (except holidays).  When the exterior doors are locked, the building can be accessed via card readers using a University ID card. There are six entrances with card readers:

You may exit the building at any time. Some doors are marked “Emergency Exit Only — Alarm Will Sound.” Exiting these doors will trigger an audible alarm. Reentering the building when the exterior doors are locked requires that you use one of the card readers and your University ID card.

If you have a valid University ID card and would like access to the building, please contact David Holsapple, Building Services Coordinator, at 434-924-4583 or If you have lost your University ID card, please contact the University ID Card Office at for a replacement.

UVA community members are welcome to use the Law School building after hours, but should keep their University ID cards on hand at all times. The Law School's security guard, who is on duty from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., or the police might ask for ID after-hours as they conduct their patrols.

Use of the building is reserved for students, faculty, staff and authorized visitors. No trespassing is allowed. Animals are not permitted in the building, except for service animals. Your image may be recorded.


University policy limits sales, solicitation, and student fundraising activities in order to (1) preserve its educational mission and focus, (2) provide a secure environment, (3) protect its students and employees from exploitation, (4) respect the aesthetic qualities of the Grounds, and (5) promote fair business practices. In addition, University policy prohibits "[t]he use of University facilities and/or property for solicitations by external businesses, individuals, and groups or by individual students representing such enterprises … without prior written permission." Solicitation includes selling, promoting for the purpose of future sales, commercial advertising, and canvassing.

For more details, students should contact Student Affairs, and others should contact Building Services.

A separate policy governs the activities of bar exam prep companies at the Law School: