Virginia Loan Forgiveness Program (VLFP)
The Law School is committed to making public service a viable career option for graduates who work in the public interest anywhere in the world. As a public institution of the Commonwealth, the Law School is also committed to enabling graduates to practice in underserved parts of Virginia, including in private practice. Graduates who enter qualifying employment within two years of graduation or within two years of completing a judicial clerkship are eligible to receive loan repayment assistance from the Law School.
For the Classes of 2013 and later, the Law School’s revised loan forgiveness program (VLFP II) helps repay the loans of graduates who earn less than $75,000 annually in public service positions. Participants in the program who earn less than $55,000 annually receive benefits covering 100 percent of their qualifying law school loans. Those earning between $55,000 and $75,000 receive benefits prorated based on income. For the Classes of 2012 and earlier, the Law School maintains its original loan forgiveness program (VLFP I).
- VLFP II Program Description (Classes of 2013 and later)
- VLFP I Program Description (Classes of 2012 and earlier)
VLFP Orange and Blue Cycle Applications
There are two cycles for processing VLFP applications. The VLFP "Blue Cycle" benefit period will cover the 12-month period of January through December. The "Orange Cycle," which covers the six-month period of July through December, accommodates graduates who secure employment later in the year, those with shorter-term plans and those who need flexibility in the VLFP cycle.
The Orange Cycle is only available to new applicants, and applicants who were specifically placed on a six-month cycle by the program director.
Orange Cycle applications will be made available online each year in April; the deadline for submitting applications and supporting documentation is June 1. Because benefit payments may not be distributed until August, applicants should be prepared to make July and August educational loan payments before receiving benefits funding. Blue Cycle applications, which are made available online in October each year, are due Dec. 1. Starting in 2013, Blue Cycle applicants will be required to submit an abbreviated mid-year renewal application on June 1.
- Orange Cycle Application
- Blue Cycle Application
- Blue Cycle Recertification Form (for all Blue Cycle applicants who received benefits for the period of Jan. 1, 2013-Dec. 31, 2013)
- Income-Based Repayment Plan Fact Sheet (Federal Government)
- Income-Based Repayment Plan Summary (FinAid.org)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program Fact Sheet (Federal Government)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program Summary (FinAid.org)
- Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan for the Direct Loan Program (Federal Government)
- State Loan Repayment Assistance Programs (ABA)
- John R. Justice Grant Program (loan assistance for prosecutors and public defenders)
University of Virginia School of Law
Office of Financial Aid
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Phone: (434) 924-7805
Fax: (434) 982-2128