The University of Virginia Law School Foundation [the Foundation] is committed to supporting the privacy of students, alumni, and friends of the University of Virginia School of Law (UVA Law). This Privacy Statement describes how we handle and use the personal information we collect about our alumni, friends and donors.
Personal information we collect
While the specific information varies by individual, in the course of our regular business related to alumni engagement and development we may collect, use, store and transfer the kind of information described below:
- Contact information – home and business addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and social media contact information;
- Demographic information – names, gender, birth and death dates, race and ethnicity;
- Student information obtained from UVA Law’s institutional records – degrees, activities, awards and other university affiliations;
- Employment information – job titles, company names and industry information;
- Family information – names and birth dates of spouse or partner, children and other familial relationships;
- Alumni information – event attendance, volunteer interests, committee and board participation, awards and honors, and other organizational affiliations;
- Donor information – gift transactions, cumulative giving history, wealth assessment information, and indicators of interests in giving to particular areas; and
- Analytical information – aggregated information related to web visitor activity and email marketing actions.
How we collect personal information
We collect information from a variety of sources. A significant portion of the information we maintain is information provided directly to us by individuals through giving activities, event registrations and direct communications with us. Personal data from alumni and students of UVA Law is transferred from the student records system to the Foundation’s database.
The information we collect about individuals may also be supplemented by additional data obtained through targeted internet searches and third party sources and social media sites.
How we use personal information
We use personal information for a number of purposes, as necessary to support the University of Virginia School of Law and its mission. Specifically, we use your personal information to:
- keep you informed about UVA Law news, events and alumni activities;
- provide access to Law Alumni Connection, the online law alumni directory;
- fundraise for UVA Law;
- send information about volunteer activities and invitations to UVA Law events in your area;
- perform administrative tasks, and for internal record keeping purposes;
- conduct surveys; and
- create and analyze aggregated, anonymized information about our students, alumni, friends and donors for statistical research purposes in support of our educational mission.
If you have concerns about these uses of personal data or how we communicate with you, please see the section captioned “Additional information and assistance” below. We will be responsive to all requests to modify communication and contact preferences.
When we share your personal information
To perform the functions listed above, it may be necessary to share your personal information with staff, volunteers and student workers. All individuals performing professional or volunteer functions in support of the advancement endeavors of UVA Law are informed regarding the appropriate handling of confidential information (i.e., your personal information) and are required to sign a non‐disclosure agreement.
We may also share your personal information with third parties under contract with us to perform certain data management, data analysis, data enhancement or other consulting activities in support of our operations. In these instances, contracts are reviewed and evaluated so that all matters of data security and confidentiality meet the specifications required by the University of Virginia.
How your information is stored and secured
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online, consistent with the policies of the University of Virginia and with the laws and regulations of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
How long we keep your personal information
We consider UVA Law’s relationship with its alumni, donors and other stakeholders to be lifelong. If you decide that you no longer wish to receive communications from UVA Law, we will adjust our communications to the level you desire and will make every effort to honor that request until you tell us otherwise.
Rights of individuals in the European Economic Area
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), individuals in the European Economic Area (EEA) have the right in certain circumstances to
- access their personal information;
- correct or erase information;
- restrict processing;
- request data portability, i.e., to request that we provide certain personal data that we process in a machine‐readable format;
- object to certain types of uses, including communications, direct marketing or profiling; and
- lodge complaints with their national or regional data protection authority.
If you wish to exercise these rights, we request an opportunity to discuss with you any concerns you may have. Please see the section captioned “Additional Information and Assistance” below for who to contact. To protect the personal information we hold, we may also request further information to verify your identity when exercising these rights. Upon a request to erase information, we may maintain a core set of personal data to ensure we do not contact you inadvertently in the future, as well as any information necessary for archival purposes. We may also need to retain some financial information for legal purposes, including compliance with the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS). In the event of an actual or threatened legal claim, we may retain your information for purposes of establishing, defending against or exercising our rights with respect to such claim.
If you provide information directly to UVA Law from the European Economic Area, by doing so you acknowledge that we will transfer your personal information outside of the EEA to the United States. You understand that the current laws and regulations of the United States may not provide the same level of protection as the data and privacy laws and regulations of the EEA. For transfers from the European Economic Area to our United States affiliate, pursuant to Article 46 of the General Data Protection Regulation, we use Standard Contractual Clauses.
You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide any personal data to us (other than personal data provided in connection with your status as a student of the University of Virginia).
Changes to this policy
The Foundation reserves the right to change its privacy policies from time to time. Any such changes will be posted on UVA Law’s web site and any changes relevant to this Privacy Statement will be incorporated into this document, with an edit date clearly indicated.
Additional information and assistance
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement and/or how we process personal information, or would like to exercise any of the legal rights described above, please contact Helen Snyder at email@example.com.