This version of the charitable gift annuity is designed for younger donors and those who want to plan now for future financial needs (for example, retirement or a child’s college tuition payments).
A deferred charitable gift annuity is exactly like an immediate charitable gift annuity in all but one respect: an immediate gift annuity begins paying fixed amounts to you or your beneficiaries immediately; a deferred gift annuity will begin making fixed payments at a future date.
How It Works
- You transfer cash, securities or other property to the University of Virginia Foundation.
- Beginning on a specified date in the future, the UVA Foundation begins paying you, or up to two annuitants you name, fixed annuity payments for life.
- The remainder passes to the Law School when the contract ends.
- Deferring payments permits a higher annuity rate and generates a larger immediate charitable deduction.
- You can target your annuity payments to begin when you need them — for example, when you retire or when a grandchild needs help with tuition payments.
- The longer you defer payments, the higher the annuity rate you will receive.
- You have the option of creating a flexible start date for your payments with a "flexible deferred gift annnuity."
- You have the satisfaction of making a significant tax-deductible gift now that benefits both you and the Law School later.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I use a deferred gift annuity to help plan for retirement?
If you anticipate retiring in the next few years, you can set up one or more deferred gift annuities scheduled to begin making payments to you when your income decreases during a career phase-down or at full retirement.
Why should younger donors consider this option?
Although the minimum age at which annuity payments can begin is 55, a younger donor may establish a deferred gift annuity that begins making payments no earlier than the donor’s or another annuitant's 55th birthday.
- A deferred gift annuity is created the same way and offers the same benefits of simplicity, security, and attractive income taxation that an immediate gift annuity provides.
- We will be pleased to provide you with calculations showing how different deferral periods will affect your annuity payments and tax benefits.
For More Information
Email us, or call us at 877-307-0158 (toll free) or (434) 924-4154 (direct) so that we may answer your questions and help you through the process.
The materials provided in this website and the examples contained herein are for illustration purposes only and are not intended as legal or tax advice. We encourage you to consult your own legal and tax advisor.
The UVA Law Foundation
*Created in 1986, the University of Virginia Foundation handles the acquisition, management and sale of real estate on behalf of all University of Virginia schools and units, including the Law School. In addition, the UVA Foundation serves as the contracting party for all charitable gift annuities established to benefit all University schools and units.