How To Apply For Loans

Applying for Federal Student Loans (Direct Unsubsidized and Direct Grad PLUS)

  1. Complete the 2024-2025 FAFSA.
    • Note: you will use your 2022 information on the 2024-2025 form; not your 2023 tax information. 
  2. Once we receive your FAFSA, you will be offered the maximum allowable amounts under each loan program (this does not mean you have to accept the full amount for either loan you are offered).  Go to "Accept/Decline Financial Aid" under the View Financial Aid section of your Student Center in SIS to accept, reduce, or decline your loan(s). 
    • To reduce your loan amount, you will first need to click "accept" in order for the loan amount box to become an editable field. Then, enter your modified loan request amount, and hit "enter."  Your requested loan amount will be disbursed half in the fall term, and half in the spring term.  Loan fees will be deducted from the gross loan amount prior to disbursement.  
  3. Sign your Master Promissory Note(s) (MPNs) with your Federal Student Aid ID. 
    • Note:  there are separate MPNs for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and for the Direct Grad PLUS Loan.  Make certain you are signing the correct MPN, and if applicable, have completed both.
  4. If you are a first-time borrower at UVA Law, you are also required to complete student loan Entrance Counseling.  Please make certain you are completing the combined Direct Unsubsidized and Direct Grad PLUS loan entrance counseling.  
  5. Check your “To Do List” in the Student Information System for additional required items. 
  6. If you initially decline or reduce the amount of either loan and later wish to accept or increase the loan, you must contact the Law School Financial Aid Office for assistance.
More About the Direct Loan Program

Submitting Other Documents Required for Financial Aid Processing

Please consult your SIS “To Do List” for other documents that may be required by the Financial Aid Office to process your financial aid. Students selected for verification by the Department of Education will see a requirement to provide necessary documentation in the SIS “To Do List.” Common items that may be required include proof of citizenship, a copy of your Alien Registration Card or verification of Social Security Number. 

If You Receive Outside Scholarship Assistance

Students who receive financial assistance from any source outside of the University of Virginia School of Law must advise the Financial Aid Office of the amounts and types of assistance received. Your financial aid award may be adjusted to reflect any outside assistance. Please send an e-mail to with the details of your outside award.

Deferment of Previous Loan Balances

If you borrowed under the federal student loan program prior to enrolling at UVA, you may be eligible for a deferment or forbearance.  The university certifies enrollment centrally, and submits that information electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse.  Additional information is available on that process from the University Registrar.