Environmental Law and Community Engagement Clinic
The clinic has represented a diverse array of public-interest clients in recent years, from a community group working to preserve an early 20th-century black schoolhouse, to local governments filing an amicus brief in the Supreme Court of the United States. In addition to working on in-house clinic cases, students also have the option of working closely with attorneys at the Southern Environmental Law Center, a nationally prominent environmental law and policy organization that is headquartered in Charlottesville.
Advanced Environmental Law and Community Engagement Clinic
Students interested in a yearlong clinic experience may enroll in the Advanced Clinic (a two-credit course) after successful completion of one semester in the Environmental Law and Community Engagement Clinic.
In the News
- 5.4.20 Clinic Joins Fight To Preserve Historic, Black Schoolhouse
- 2.14.20 Students Play Role in Clean Energy Win for Client
- 8.2.19 From Supreme Court Briefs to Pioneering Projects, Cale Jaffe Leads Environmental Clinic To Success
- 3.27.19 Clinic Student Plays Lead Role at Regulatory Hearing
- 9.28.18 Environmental Clinic Brief Defends Virginia’s Uranium Mining Ban
- 7.20.18 Environmental Clinic Helps Find Renewed Purpose for Nevada Mining Lands
- 5.15.18 Clinic Represents Sierra Club in Wetlands Case
- 12.18.17 UVA Law Clinic Seeks to Protect Tribe’s History
- 5.10.17 Environmental Clinic Students Tackle Timely Topics
- 6.22.16 Alumnus Cale Jaffe '01 to Join Faculty, Direct Environmental and Regulatory Law Clinic
- 4.13.16 Environmental Law Clinic Puts Student on Front Line of Virginia Uranium Mining Battle