LL.M. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Feb. 1
S.J.D. APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 1
Please read the complete directions on How to Apply — some of our application procedures and requirements change each year.
A complete application contains the following items:
An LL.M. application, completed and submitted electronically through LSAC along with required attachments and optional forms.
2. Application Fee
U.S. $80 application fee paid directly to LSAC.
3. Document Assembly Service and International Transcript Authentication and Evaluation Service
- Official, school-certified transcripts of grades or marks from all colleges, universities, exchange programs and professional/graduate schools you have attended, even if you did not graduate. These should be submitted directly to LSAC in envelopes sealed by the appropriate school official, who then signs or stamps across the seal. Do not send documents certified by people other than school officials.
- Official, school-certified proof of degree document, if proof of degree does not appear on transcript. This document should be sent directly to LSAC in an envelope sealed by the appropriate school official, who then signs or stamps across the seal. Please do not send documents certified by people other than school officials.
- An official statement of class rank from the institution at which you earned or will earn your first degree in law. These should be submitted directly to LSAC in envelopes sealed by the appropriate school official who then signs or stamps across the seal. If such rankings are not provided by your school, provide a statement to this effect along with a detailed explanation of the grading system employed and a self-evaluation of your performance within that system.
4. English Proficiency or TOEFL Scores
- An official TOEFL, or IELTS score report submitted to LSAC or to UVA.
- More information about English language requirement and TOEFL scores is available at How to Apply.
5. Letters of Recommendation
- At least two, but no more than four, letters of recommendation, sent to LSAC for processing. Please follow the instructions provided in your LSAC.org account. More information on the letters of recommendation is available here.
- Please note: letters of recommendation need to be printed in letterhead paper and signed with a pen. The graduate committee will not accept letters of recommendation missing the author’s signature or printed in plain paper.
- Please add email@example.com to your safe senders lists. Offers of admission and other important information are communicated through email.
- Advise us immediately of any mailing or email address changes
Only complete applications are reviewed by the Graduate Committee. The deadline for completed applications is Feb. 1 (April 1 for S.J.D.s). Applications completed after that date will be reviewed at the committee's discretion.
See How to Apply for details.
If you have a problem accessing the application, please contact LSAC at LLMinfo@LSAC.org.
To obtain a printed copy of our program brochure, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our program brochure does not include an application form.
If you are applying for admission as an in-state student, complete the Application for In-State Educational Privileges and submit it directly to the Committee on Virginia Status. The form should be sent either via fax to 434-982-2663, or via email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you email the form, please be sure that it is a scanned copy with your actual signature on it. This form is not transmitted electronically by LSAC and must be sent separately. We cannot classify you as a resident candidate without this form. If you have any questions about the form or your residency status, please contact the Virginia Status Office at 434-982-3391 or 434-982-3397.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless the University rules that you are entitled to Virginia in-state educational privileges, you will be classified as an out-of-state student for all purposes including tuition.
All correspondence should be mailed to:
GRADUATE STUDIES OFFICE
University of Virginia School of Law
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-1738
Telephone: (434) 924-3154
Fax: (434) 982-6682
"I enjoy how open-minded, friendly, outgoing and engaging people are here. I immediately felt at home. Furthermore, I think the classes are amazing. I like the American method of learning and teaching. And I especially enjoy all the extracurricular activities UVA Law offers."
—Julia Katharine Rupp '16, Germany